Battle of the Books 2024
What is Battle?
Battle of the Books is a trivia-style reading competition and all Ferndale Upper Elementary 5th graders are invited to participate!
The youth librarians at FADL have hand-picked a diverse selection of 6 middle-grade books.
In teams of 2-4, participants will read the books and prepare for Battle day (Thursday, March 21st), when they can test their Battle Book knowledge against their peers!
The winning team will be honored by having their names engraved on a plaque for all future FUEL students to see.
How Do I Sign Up?
FUEL 5th graders can sign up with their teachers starting Thursday, December 14th.
Get with your friends to form a team, think up a creative team name, design costumes (optional), and get reading!
Prize for best team name will be announced at Battle in the spring.
Need a team? See your teacher for assistance.
Where do I get the books?
FADL has provided enough copies of the books to FUEL to provide each team with one copy of each book. Ask your teacher about getting the books for your team. Teams can keep the books when they are done.
If you need extra copies, there are copies at Ferndale Library that you can check out with your library card. Click on the book covers below to place a hold today. Where available, eBook and eAudiobook copies can be borrowed from Libby and Hoopla.
Don't have a library card? As a Ferndale student or resident you are eligible for a Ferndale library card! Learn more about signing up for a library card.
You can also call the youth reference desk (248.546.2504 x694) and we would be happy to place a hold for you.
What happens on the day of Battle?
Battle of the Books is Thursday, March 21st. Things to know about the day of Battle:
- You will sit with your team
- Ferndale Youth Librarians will give each team blank answers sheets
- There will be two rounds of questions, with 10 questions each round, making for a total of 20 questions.
- If there is a tie, we will read tiebreaker questions.
- We will annouce the winning Battle team.
- We will annouce the team that won Best Team Name.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does spelling count?
- Do your best.
- Spelling only counts if we have to do tiebreaker questions.
How long do you have to answer each question?
- 90 seconds
How does your team turn in their answer sheet?
- Designate a team member to hold up the answer sheet.
- Please stay seated as a volunteer/staff collects answer sheets.
How many points for each question?
- 1 point for the author's full name.
- 1 point for the book title.